Friday, April 4, 2008

Two Down, Four To Go.

It's a bad week to be a fish in the castle, let me tell you.

The Prince has (strike that, HAD) six African Cichlids, which his uncle hand raised for him. The sixth fish, and most coveted, was a special one that the Prince had named Sunny D, because of his gorgeous orange color. In less than a week, we've lost him, another "regular" cichlid was belly up when I came home for lunch today, and there's a third one that I have a sneaking suspicion is on the way out. I'm praying I'm not met with any surprises when I walk in the door from work tonight. I don't know if I can handle it.

Originally we thought that the demise of Sunny D was because of an accident; when we found him, he was pinned underneath a decorative log in the tank. The King liberated him from the situation, but he was in bad shape. He struggled on through the night and in to the next day, but went to the big fish bowl in the sky by last Friday evening. Poor fella. Throughout the week, however, we started thinking maybe it wasn't a freak accident and he got his tail whooped by one of the others. After today's findings, I'm pretty much convinced that was the case.

If you don't know about cichlids, let me tell you this: the are AGGRESSIVE fishies. Really aggressive. When Sunny came to the tank (he was a late arrival as my brother in law wanted to make sure the tank was in good shape before bringing him to live with us) he immediately put his smack down and let the rest of the tank know he was in charge. This did not go over well with the other residents of said tank, as you can imagine. Ever since, there's been some strange fishy powerstruggle going on, and I guess you could say that generic cichlid #1 is the winner. Either that or he's gone American Psycho on us and is systematically murdering all the other fish in order to have the tank all to himself...

The worst part about all of this is telling your four year old that his pets are dead. Don't get me wrong, I know they're just fish, and are TOTALLY replaceable, but, hey. The kid's 4. That's tough on a little guy. Maybe I need to detour to PetSmart before I pick him up from school today.....*sssshhh..don't tell on me!*

Oh, and BTW, Detroit Tigers? What the hell? WHAT. THE. HELL? 0-4? Are you freaking kidding me?

No comments: